HAIR LOSS IN WOMEN
There are over 30 Million women suffering from hair loss. There are many reasons for this widespread incidence. Although most of these women will never completely lose all their hair, they will experience diffuse hair loss.
It is estimated that most women lose up to 50% of their hair before they notice the hair loss. Hair is considered a woman’s “Crown of Glory” and is associated with her beauty. Hair loss in women can be devastating as if affects their self-esteem, confidence, work ethic, and can cause undo stress on the body.
FACTS ABOUT WOMEN’S HAIR LOSS
- Approximately 30 million women (one in four) experience hereditary women’s hair loss or baldness
- 40% of women never expect to face the challenge of hair loss or baldness
- 50% of women experience hair loss by middle age
- Typically, your hair is at its thickest by age 20. Once you pass age 20, however, your hair gradually begins to thin, shedding more than the normal 40-100 hairs each day
- Fine hair is both a precursor for and consequence of hair thinning. Women who experience hair loss have a disproportionately high rate of fine hair before they start losing hair
HAIR LOSS IN WOMEN TRIGGERS EMOTIONAL UPSET
Hair loss in women becomes an appearance issue, and it can also be the cause of severe emotional stress for most women. Many women who did expect to face hair loss are often caught by surprise, sometimes up to five years earlier than anticipated. A recent study reported that women have a difficult time confronting hair loss:
- Female study participants under age 50 reported feeling a “severe emotional blow.”
- 29% admitted feeling scared
- 47% said they were embarrassed
- 15% felt unattractive
- 28% experienced paranoia
HLCC provides options to combat women’s hair loss
Before using any product or starting any treatment consult with All-N-1 House of Beauty Hair Replacement Centre. Our staff will work with you to develop your individual hair loss treatment plan, our plan is based on your specific needs and expectations. We have the answers you need.
TOP 7 CAUSES OF FEMALE HAIR LOSS
- Hair Loss caused by Hormones. Androgentic alopeica (hereditary hair loss) is the number one cause of female pattern hair loss. It accounts for a slow decline in scalp hair density. When testosterone coverts into DHT it has a miniaturizing effect on the hair follicle which leads to thinning and ultimately hair loss. Also low levels of estrogen and progesterone can be the culprit.
- Hair Loss caused by Vitamin Deficiency.Low Ferritin (iron storage)and Vitamin D are closely linked to hair shedding and hair breakage. When iron is low the hair loses elasticity becomes dry and brittle and constantly breaks off. Lose anagen syndrome can also occur if the connective tissue of the hair bulb is weak.
- Hair Loss caused by stress. Unless you are pulling your hair out from stress (trichotillomania), then the female hormone cortisol can elevate and cause antigens to attack the scalp and cause hair loss. Also stress can worsen autoimmune diseases by affecting the hypothalamus and pituitary gland which will secrete hormones that promote inflammation.
- Hair Loss caused by birth control.Some birth control pills, IUD’s can shock the body and cause hormonal imbalances that can trigger diffuse hair loss (telogen effluvium) which causes hairs to pass prematurely to the telogen stage. During the stage of hair growth we normally lose between 50-100 hairs however, due to the sudden shock you will experience excessive hair shedding which you will see in your brush or bathroom floor. This is type of hair loss is normally temporary and self correcting but in some cases you should consult your doctor and possibly lower your dosage or switch altogether.
- Hair Loss caused by medications.Check with your doctor to see if your medication contraindicates hair loss. The body normally can quickly recover once adjusted to medications however in some cases it will continue for as long as you take it.
- Auto-immune conditions.Condtions such as diabetes, hypothyroidism, rheumatoid arthritis, intestinal cystitis and fibromyalgia, celiac disease, and lupus.
- Hair Loss caused by chemical damage.Over processing of the hair due to hair color, relaxers, perms, highlights will cause hair breakage (Trichorrhexis Nodosa) and will cause the hair cuticle to become frayed and leak proteins. Split ends (trichoptilosis) will also occur.